WEDNESDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers.
* Rep. Joe Sestak (D-Pa.) conceded yesterday that he is “going to get into the race against” Sen. Arlen Specter next year, taking on the incumbent in a Democratic primary in Pennsylvania.
* A senior advisor to Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D-N.Y.) said the congresswoman has “definitely decided to run” against Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) in a Democratic primary in next year.
* With about four months remaining until Election Day in New Jersey, the latest Public Policy Polling survey shows former U.S. Attorney Chris Christie (R) leading incumbent Gov. Jon Corzine (D), 51% to 41%.
* Republicans have launched a new round of attack ads against freshman Rep. Tom Perriello (D) in Virginia for his vote to combat global warming. The NRCC will also go after Democrats in 13 other districts with radio ads or robocalls.
* Left with no other choices, Republicans are slowly beginning to coalesce around former Rep. Pat Toomey’s (R-Pa.) Senate campaign. Today, Rep. Bill Shuster (R-Pa.) became the third member of Pennsylvania’s congressional delegation to endorse the far-right candidate.
* Sen. Mary Landrieu (D) is facing a new television ad in her home state, criticizing her position on the public option in health care reform. The ad, sponsored by a coalition including MoveOn.org, Democracy for America, and Change Congress, features a breast cancer survivor criticizing the insurance companies.
* And finally, God apparently doesn’t want Samuel “Joe the Plumber” Wurzelbacher to be a candidate for public office.