It’s clearly one of those days: one shocking act of violence and a lot of political “news,” much of which is manufactured to keep reporters and pundits busy. Writing passionately about the latter feels somehow wrong, but life goes on. Here are some random news bites, some substantial, some that just leave you hungry:
* FBI look for “second person of interest” in Wisconsin massacre. So far no one is debunking SPLC reports on killer as white supremacist.
* James Fallows fears there’s no massacre that will ever convince Americans to do something about loose weapons laws.
* Here’s something worth taking seriously: new International Energy Agency report raises alarms about short-term consequences of uncontrolled carbon emissions.
* Via Weigel, new Bill Nelson ad savages Connie Mack IV as lazy, debt-ridden, and a former promoter for Hooters.
* CNN’s Aaron Smith estimates Curiosity project has created or supported 7,000 jobs.
And in non-political news:
* Gabby Douglas spurns Wheaties box for deal with Kellog’s.
Back very shortly.