August is finally winding down, which means politics will soon get deadly serious. But only intermittently for a while yet. Here are some midday delectations:
* Kristol quotes Lincoln’s advice to prohibitionists to urge conservatives to stop attacking Todd Akin publicly and instead importune him away from the cameras to get the hell out of Senate race. Amusing on multiple levels.
* Paul Ryan confirms Romney’s position on abortion exceptions governs the ticket, but can’t bring himself to publicly endorse a rape exception. Silence speaks louder….
* And speaking of Ryan: Dowd calls him “the perfect modern leader to rally medieval Republicans who believe that Adam and Eve cavorted with dinosaurs.” I’d call that an insult to the Middle Ages.
* No primetime broadcast network coverage of first night of GOP hoedown in Tampa, which means no coverage of Ann Romney’s first-of-several “keynote address.”
* U.S. troop deaths in Afghanistan pass 2,000 mark.
And in non-political news:
* My favorite college football blogger, Senator Blutarsky, posts 100 things he’s looking forward to in fast-approaching 2012 season.
We’re a bit ahead of schedule in the drive to 12 posts, so I’ll be back after some quick Real Life chores.