Well, Biden gets a nasty opening pitch from Raddatz: Do Libya killings represent massive intelligence failure?
* Biden very smooth in shifting to broad national security case for administration, and against Romney/Ryan. Didn’t answer question, of course.
* Ryan gets right down into argument that administration failed to stop killings. Now defects attacks on Romney on Iraq, and shifts to “weakness” case.
* Raddatz lets Ryan wallow in Libya again by way of question about appropriateness of Romney’s criticism.
* Biden laughing at lot while Ryan talks. Now gets right into House GOP cuts in embassy security funding. Uses “my friend” reference to Ryan, and old trick when one is about to eviscerate opponent.
* Biden: “These guys bet against America all the time.”
* Raddataz keeps debate on Libya. Big gift to Ryan.
* Ryan gets to link “no apologies” to alleged failure on embassy security.
* Raddatz sets up Iran discussion w; Gates quote calling military strike “catastrophic.” Ryan ignores it, and goes into standard rap on Iran. Biden laughing again.
* Biden getting into weeks on Iranian nuclear capability. “Loose talk” line and reference to Romney risking war pretty good.
* Raddatz suddenly challenges Ryan on meeting Bibi’s timeline.
* As I suggested in the preview, this long discussion of foreign policy where Ryan seems to be holding his own is very good for him. Need to get on to domestic issues.
* Biden missing huge opportunity to tie Romney/Ryan to Bush recklessness.