In the comment thread to yesterday’s Day’s End post, I was upbraided serially for adopting the SoCal habit of appending “the” to the number of highways (e.g., “the 101”). I had no idea this was a substate regional thing; I’ve certainly heard my Central Coast friends and neighbors use it. But I’m clearly struggling to pick up on Golden State folkways and mores. A few years ago while blogging about a California election at FiveThirtyEight, I referred to “Frisco” and the comment thread just exploded with fury. Live and learn.
Here are some mid-day news/views morsels for your consumption:
* First Twitter, now conservative blogosphere, aflame over media “conspiracy” to ignore Philly trial of doc performing illegal abortions and butchering live infants and his patients as well. Salon‘s Irin Carmon tartly responds w/ her extensive writing on the story. More about this later.
* According to Politico‘s Manu Raju, Marco Rubio is “all in” on Gang of Eight immigration proposal, & will become its chief salesman to conservatives. If that’s so, it’s significant.
* Kerry talks tough to North Korea.
* Check out this headline from Washington Examiner for “objective journalism:” “Left and right strategize over Obamacare’s failure.”
* TNR’s Alec MacGillis plumbs the Cuomo family saga and the struggle for Andy’s soul. Fascinating.
And in non-political news:
* Scandal erupts over alleged alteration of $2.8 million Honus Wagner baseball card.
Back before long.