Checked my bank account, and no, I won’t be traveling to Australia or South Pacific to watch solar eclipse. Actually didn’t have to check, but fun to pretend there was ever a possibility.
Here are some mid-day news/views morsels, piping hot:
* This actually isn’t a new idea (it was a reality in some states in the 19th century), but discussion in New York of non-citizen voting will become big talking point for immigration reform opponents, I betcha.
* Politico testing metered subscription system for access to its content in six states and overseas. Guess those expensive print ads by lobbying firms aren’t paying the freight any more.
* Obama allegedly taking “jobs tour” to Texas to make Ted Cruz the face of the extremist opposition.
* Greg Sargent explores how many conservative changes the Gang of Eight immigration bill can take on without blowing up the whole coalition.
* At TAP, Gershom Gorenberg rebuts idea Israel trying to push U.S. into Syria intervention.
And in sorta non-political news:
* PPP survey finds that Republicans, Democrats and independents all pretty much equally dislike Justin Bieber.
Back after an actual lunch break.