As I’ve said before at PA, I’ve never liked scandal politics, even when it’s the “bad guys” being implicated. At best, it reinforces the imprecise and often dead-wrong “they’re all crooks and liars” syndrome that “false-equivalency” media feed on. And at worst, it destroys perspective, as reporters and political enemies plunge into alleged cover-ups of cover-ups and real-life issues fade further and further into the distance. But as a news-cycle blogger I can’t ignore what the whole hep world is talking about, and can only hope it doesn’t last as long as it looks like it will right now.
Here are some final news and views for this particular day:
* CNN’s Jake Tapper reveals that actual email sent by White House on Benghazi! talking points undermines the whole conspiracy theory.
* Whoa! Steve King calls Gang of Eight immigration bill worse than Obamacare!
* TPM’s Tom Kludt provides handy list of GOP Members of Congress already talking about impeaching Obama.
* At Ten Miles Square, Jonathan Bernstein reminds us of the actual crimes at the heart of Watergate.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer reports that community college focus on workforce development actually seems to be succeeding, despite economic obstacles.
And in non-political news:
* Diverting update on O.J. Simpson’s efforts to secure a new trial on his robbery conviction on grounds of incompetent legal counsel. If we’re going back to the 1990s generally, might as well keep up with O.J.
That’s it for the day. Here again is Ry Cooder, this time accompanying Randy Newman and Linda Ronstadt in a New York performance of “Rider in the Rain” in 1983.