Just experienced a rare iMac crash, so I’m running a bit behind schedule. Knew I shouldn’t have opened that vast pdf from the Congressional Budget Office.
In any event, here are some mid-day news and views worth a taste:
* At TNR, Abbas Milani has fascinating account of Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei’s manipulation of the upcoming Iranian elections.
* National Journal‘s Josh Kraushaar points to GOP candidate recruitment problems in key states of Virginia and Colorado as bad sign for 2014 and beyond.
* Phyllis Schlafly endorses fastest-moving GOP political meme: chasing Latinos a waste of time.
* 1994 landslide casualty Marjorie Margolies of Pennsylvania, who lost after switching vote to support Clinton budget, seeking return to House after 20 years.
* James Comey, a former high-ranking Bush administration figure and sometimes nemesis of Alberto Gonzales, reportedly to be named new F.B.I. director.
And in non-political news:
* Andrew Greeley, sociologist, novelist, journalist and priest, dies at 85.
Back after raiding the Frigidaire.