Being in CST was a bit of a snooze-treat for me today, but political news is but slowly emerging from the holiday deep-freeze. Here are some midday test-kitchen items:
* Politico‘s Maggie Haberman has an exhaustive overview of Team Hillary’s preparations for 2016. Big takeaways: lotta new and younger faces in Hillaryland, including Chelsea, who has reportedly replaced the Big Dog as adviser number one, and isn’t all that sure her mother will or should run.
* MSNBC’s Irin Carmon offers in-depth analysis of federal appeals court review of Texas abortion law, which begins today.
* Angela Merkel suffers pelvic fracture in skiing accident; cancels all meetings for next three weeks.
* WaTimes’ Joseph Curl predictably first to claim ship of scientists trapped in Antarctic ice a refutation of global warming. Next up, I’m sure: winter weather still exists!
* At TNR, our own Ryan Cooper wonders if Austerians can survive another year of declining federal budget deficits.
And in sorta non-political news:
* New study shows that among men, 49% of African-Americans, 44% of Hispanics, and 38% of whites are arrested for non-traffic offense by age 23.
Continuing today’s theme of honoring the Gret Stet of Loosiana, here’s Doug Kershaw with “Diggy Liggy Lo” as we break for lunch.