Finished season two of Orange Is the New Black last night. Fun, but time to spend more time reading.
Here are some midday brain food bites:
* Obama administration promulgates executive order extending non-discrimination rules to LGBT employees of federal contractors.
* SCOTUS starts rolling out opinions: refuses to provide relief for “straw” purchaser of gun even though real buyer eligible to make purchase on own.
* Prospect‘s Robert Kuttner calls for revival of “liberal imagination” alongside sober governing agenda.
* UK ranks first, US last in Commonwealth Fund ranking of eleven countries’ health care quality, though (a) US most expensive by far and (b) data mostly collected before ACA implementation.
* Kagan and Kristol call for return of U.S. combat troops to Iraq. Run in the opposite direction!
And in non-political news:
* Baseball great Tony Gwynn dies of cancer at 54. Very sad.
As we break for lunch, here’s a still photo from The Beatles performance of “Rain” on Top of the Pops, along with audio of that fine tune, one of my favorites.