We wanted to give Phil Longman’s latest post on the VA some breathing space, so we’re running a bit later than usual on our midday news/views treats:
* TPM is featuring the fascinating saga of ME Gov. Paul LePage’s flirtation with the “sovereign citizen” movement.
* Chris Christie seems to be the only pol in America who has no opinion about Hobby Lobby.
* Add Kentucky to the list of states where a federal judge has struck down a same-sex marriage ban.
* Rarely enforced California law mandating paid family leave hasn’t had any notable negative effect on the state’s economy.
* Israel begins attacks on Hamas as hundreds of thousands of mourners turn out for triple funeral of teens allegedly killed by the Palestinian group.
And in non-political news:
* Americans try to get themselves worked up into anti-Belgian frenzy as teams face off in World Cup knockout round.
As we break for lunch, here’s the Sam Roberts Band with “Canadian Dream.”