Lunch Buffet

Back on the Central Coast of California today, and it’s exactly as I left it two weeks ago: blue skies, blue water, light winds, temperatures topping out around 70. There’s an exciting 20% chance of rain on Thursday, but my money’s on the 80% probability of more drought.

Here are some coasty-toasty midday news/views treats:

* Rick Hasen explains Kansas Supreme Court’s decision not to decide suit seeking to force Democrats to name a new nominee in the Senate race.

* Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and maybe even Detroit, likely to be refuges from global climate change.

* Airstrikes against IS in Iraq not having any notable effect on territory the group controls.

* Mark Salter seems on brink of challenging Rand Paul to a duel for “smearing” his boss, John McCain.

* Countries representing 54% of greenhouse gases and half of global GDP have pledged to tax carbon. US is the most conspicuous absentee.

And in non-political news:

* Going private postal: disgruntled former employee kills 3 at UPS facility in Alabama.

As we break for lunch, here’s more vintage Fairport Convention, this one a cover of Bob Dylan’s “Percy’s Song.”

Washington Monthly - Donate today and your gift will be doubled!

Support Nonprofit Journalism

If you enjoyed this article, consider making a donation to help us produce more like it. The Washington Monthly was founded in 1969 to tell the stories of how government really works—and how to make it work better. Fifty years later, the need for incisive analysis and new, progressive policy ideas is clearer than ever. As a nonprofit, we rely on support from readers like you.

Yes, I’ll make a donation

Ed Kilgore

Ed Kilgore is a political columnist for New York and managing editor at the Democratic Strategist website. He was a contributing writer at the Washington Monthly from January 2012 until November 2015, and was the principal contributor to the Political Animal blog.