Ah, such a spectacular sunrise this morning over Monterey Bay. It made me grateful my job causes me to get up early enough to see it. Would not have been the case for many years!
Here are some midday news/views items:
* Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA) announces she’ll retire at end of 2016, which will produce wild scramble among California Dems long blocked from “moving up.”
* Despite talk of a possible upset, Vermont Democratic Gov. Peter Shumlin re-elected by legislature (required to choose in the event no candidate wins a majority) by comfortable margin over Republican Scott Milne.
* Le Pen’s National Front already exploiting the Paris killings.
* Sabato publishes first list of “tiers” of possible candidates (21 of them!) for GOP presidential nomination; Jebbie occupies first tier alone.
And in non-political news:
* Quantas maintains “world’s safest airline” ranking.
As we break for lunch, here’s another birthday boy, David Bowie, performing one of his best 80s songs, “Modern Love.”