So I gather the D.C. area has been under an ice storm threat. Man, I really hate those suckers, which were generally the main winter weather threats when I was growing up in Georgia. On top of the hazard to human life and limb, the really bad ones would invariably provide an excuse to the utilities to demand major tree destruction. That’s one reason no one calls Atlanta “the city in a forest” much anymore.
Here are some unslippery midday news/views treats:
* U.S. military central command social media accounts apparently hacked by someone working for IS, which began tweeting threats to U.S. troops.
* Best thing about reports on 16-0 vote by Iowa GOP state committee to continue Ames Straw Poll is the many pix of Michele Bachmann looking cray-cray.
* A political crisis marks the fifth anniversary of Haiti’s calamitous 2010 earthquake.
* Ezekiel Emanuel argues health care costs could be reduced if fewer people got general medical checkups.
And in non-political news:
* TNR’s Esther Breger impressed with progressive tone of Golden Globes this year.
As we break for lunch, here’s more Long John Baldry with “Backwater Blues” at a festival in Germany in 1997.