Blogging from a McDonald’s a good part of this morning, thanks to an extended domestic chore that came up while Dawn’s teaching. Haven’t done this in a while. No free coffee refills any more. Sic transit gloria.
Here’s a super-jumbo cup of midday news/views items:
* Jon Stewart, who exerts a lot more influence than Brian Williams, leaving The Daily Show after more than 16 years. Thanks for the laughs, the outrage, and the mental stimulation, Jon.
* Obama attempting “middle way” in draft military force authorization to fight IS.
* A look at the “lingering mystery” of Scott Walker’s abrupt departure from Marquette University without a degree.
* California Lt. Gov. Gavin Newsom tells supporters he’s definitely running for governor in 2018.
* Per Dana Milbank, John McCain seems a bit frantic to get U.S. into a new war–somewhere, anywhere–while he chairs Senate Armed Services Committee.
And in non-political news:
* High school college football recruit who refused to sign Letter of Intent at UCLA after discovering school was covering up imminent departure of the coach who recruited him now refusing to sign LOI anywhere, possibly challenging the whole current system.
As we break for lunch, here’s more Catfish Keith, performing “Jitterbug Swing” live in Glasgow in 2011.