* Here’s one of the first things that caught my eye on twitter today:
24 hrs in US diplomacy:
-WH says UK helped spy on Trump
-State threatens war with N Korea
-VP says Ireland has had no issue with terrorism
— Rob Flaherty (@Rob_Flaherty) March 17, 2017
* That was before further cringe-worthy moments later in the day, like this:
No handshake. No talking to one another.
— Kyle Griffin (@kylegriffin1) March 17, 2017
* It’s hard to forget all the times Trump suggested that Hillary Clinton didn’t have the stamina required to conduct foreign policy when you see things like this:
US Secy of State Tillerson cut short his visit to S. Korea because of "fatigue," Korean officials tell Korea Herald https://t.co/4LQjzeWRUG
— Glenn Kessler (@GlennKesslerWP) March 17, 2017
* But then, we’re learning a lot these days, aren’t we?
Health Care is complicated.
Diplomacy is exhausting.
— Philippe Reines (@PhilippeReines) March 17, 2017
Clinton responded to that tweet with a little A+ trolling.
Things I learned today. https://t.co/lM2xAjIg3H
— Hillary Clinton (@HillaryClinton) March 17, 2017
* That about covers it for the news in tweets. Since the situation with North Korea is escalating and we are likely to be hearing a lot of lies about how/why that is happening, I suggest that you take some time to read (or re-read) an article by Fred Kaplan from the Washington Monthly archives titled: “Rolling Blunder: How the Bush administration let North Korea get nukes.”
* I have no idea if there is any connection, but it’s interesting to note that today there were three long-reads published about Robert and Rebekah Mercer – billionaire supporters of Donald Trump. Here they are:
The Reclusive Hedge-Fund Tycoon Behind the Trump Presidency by Jane Mayer at The New Yorker
The Blow-It-All-Up Billionaires by Vicky Ward at Huffington Post
The Mercers and Stephen Bannon: How a populist power base was funded and built by Matea Gold at the Washington Post
* Finally, it’s St. Paddy’s Day. To close out the week, here’s my favorite Irish tune sung by one of my favorite vocalists.