WITH 48 HOURS TO GO…. Let’s see, we’re just two days until the Iowa caucuses; do you know where your candidates are?
* Kucinich is urging his Iowa supporters to back Obama (unlike in ’04, when he partnered with Edwards);
* Edwards has picked up Ralph Nader’s backing, at least for now, while the former Green Party candidate ponders his 716th independent bid;
* Elizabeth Edwards and Michelle Obama are at odds over Edwards’ controversial decision to stay within the limits of the public-financing system;
* Romney questioned Bush’s “management” of the war in Iraq;
* Unlike the Register, the latest CNN poll shows Clinton leading Obama in Iowa, 33% to 31%, and Romney leading Huckabee, 31% to 28%;
* Huckabee is still loving those carefully-placed Christian symbols in his TV ads;
* And Nagourney raises an often-overlooked point: Don’t be surprised if the results on Thursday night, particularly on the Democratic side, are so close that they “muddle things further and potentially extend the time before Democrats know their nominee.” (Imagine that; we might have to wait for more than one state to participate before knowing who the nominee is going to be.)