MONDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* We’ll have a better sense of the damage tomorrow, but the AP reports, “Hurricane Gustav slammed into the heart of Louisiana’s fishing and oil industry with 110 mph winds Monday, delivering only a glancing blow to New Orleans that raised hopes the city would escape the kind of catastrophic flooding brought by Katrina three years ago.”
* Waves reportedly went over the levees, which is better than breaching them.
* Both sides of the aisle were supposed to back off attacks today, in light of the storm. Karl Rove, however, can’t help himself. Stay classy, Karl.
* Despite the limited schedule this evening, the Republican National Convention began this afternoon in St. Paul.
* Have you heard about the reported raids associated with the convention? Glenn has a disconcerting report.
* Cindy McCain and Laura Bush are scheduled to speak to the convention today.
* The AP must be hearing quite a few complaints about Ron Fournier.
* Lindsey Graham forgets that John McCain hasn’t shown up for his day job in months.
* I have a hunch the McCain campaign wanted to get out as much bad news about the Palins as possible on a day when a hurricane reached U.S. shores.
* I finally have something in common with the president — neither Bush nor I find John Bolton credible.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.