THURSDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers:
* John McCain has 83 Wall Street lobbyists on staff. Given all the railing he’s done this week about the corruption, greed, and mismanagement on Wall Street, I can’t help but find this amusing.
* Even Karl Rove thinks Palin was added to the ticket for political reasons.
* Richard Riordan, the former mayor of Los Angeles and a Republican, endorsed Obama yesterday.
* Rep. Don Young of Alaska eked out a victory in his Republican primary.
* In the latest national poll from New York Times/CBS, Obama leads McCain among registered voters by five (48% to 43%), and among likely voters by five (49% to 44%).
* In the latest national poll from Quinnipiac, Obama leads McCain among likely voters by four, 49% to 45%.
* The latest CNN poll shows Obama and McCain tied in Florida at 48% each.
* The latest CNN poll shows McCain leading Obama in North Carolina by one, 48% to 47%.
* The latest CNN poll shows Obama leading McCain in Ohio by two, 49% to 47%.
* The latest CNN poll shows Obama leading McCain in Wisconsin by three, 50% to 47%.
* The latest CNN poll shows McCain leading Obama in Indiana by six, 51% to 45%.
* Speaking of the Hoosier State, a new Indianapolis Star poll shows Obama ahead in Indiana by three, 47% to 44%.
* A new SurveyUSA poll shows Obama leading McCain in New Mexico by eight, 52% to 44%.
* Rasmussen shows Obama leading McCain in Wisconsin by two, 48% to 46%.
* Rasmussen shows Obama leading McCain in Oregon by four, 51% to 47%.
* The latest Field Poll in California shows Obama leading McCain by 16, 52% to 36%.
* Speaking of California, voters in the state don’t appear anxious to ban gay marriages.
* Jeb Bush apparently hasn’t been especially impressed with his brother’s presidency.