FRIDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* The Fed eyes a new round of intervention: “The Federal Reserve chairman, Ben S. Bernanke, appeared to remove any lingering doubt Friday that the central bank would take new actions to fortify the torpid recovery and fight low inflation and high unemployment.”
* Social Security: “Another year without an increase in Social Security retirement and disability benefits is creating a political backlash that has President Barack Obama and Democrats pushing to give a $250 bonus to each of the program’s 58 million recipients.”
* Not helpful: “Israel ended an unofficial construction freeze in Jewish neighborhoods in East Jerusalem on Friday, announcing plans to build 238 housing units. The move comes as hard-won peace talks are stalled over the question of whether Israel will extend its broader construction moratorium in the West Bank.”
* Those worried about inflation aren’t paying attention: “The economy continued to show little sign of inflation as consumer prices eased marginally in September, while the retail sector provided a glimmer of hope for consumers, government reports said on Friday.”
* Seems like a no-brainer: “A domestic abuse victim filed a lawsuit Friday claiming a disgraced Wisconsin prosecutor violated her constitutional rights by sending her text messages seeking to start an affair while prosecuting her ex-boyfriend.”
* Remember, not all earmarks are wasteful: “Earmarks have long been maligned as pork. I thought I’d go see what one looks like in Massachusetts, so I went to the ALS Therapy Development Institute in Cambridge.” (thanks to R.L. for the tip)
* The Forgive Student Loan Debt initiative will piggyback onto Jon Stewart’s upcoming rally, in the hopes of making the case that forgiving all students loans would boost the economy.
* During a debate this week between Delaware’s major-party Senate candidates, Christine O’Donnell (R) insisted that Chris Coons (D) “paid $53,000 in a men’s fashion show.” She was lying.
* If you haven’t taken the time to watch the clip of Fort Worth City Councilman Joel Burns’ message to GLBT teens, you should. It’s quite powerful. (thanks to S.Y. for passing it along.)
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.