Probably like a lot of you, I’m ambivalent about watching the Sochi Olympics, particular if it’s served up by NBC with a lot of sycophantic media hype and those excessively long and saccharin “profiles.” But it’s still hard to resist.
Here are some remains of the day:
* Plurality of Americans still blame W. for nation’s economic problems, per new CNN/ORC poll. But hey, it’s no longer a majority!
* UN general-secretary Ban Ki-Moon blasts Russia’s anti-gay policies in speech to IOC.
* At Ten Miles Square, Keith Humphreys pours cold water on idea that cannabis legalization in the U.S. would diminish power of Mexican drug cartels.
* At College Guide, Conor Williams reports on de Blasio’s effort to divert money from charter public schools to pre-K programs, and the politics behind it.
And in non-political news:
* National Signing Day’s winners, losers and surprises.
As we end the day, here’s one more Falco video, before we let him rest in peace: “Sound of Musik.” German language skills not essential.