I seem now to be on Politico‘s regular list of people they ask for insta-reactions to news developments, this time the Boehner resignation. So I wrote another snarky reply to a breathless question about the Institution of the Speakerhood, about which we are all supposed to be worrying today.
Here are some Friday midday news/views treats:
* As expected, Pope Francis exhorts UN to act on climate change.
* Obama greets Xi with “candid” remarks on trade and rights differences between U.S. and China.
* Too bad State of Ohio will have to hold special election for Boehner seat because he wouldn’t finish his term without a gavel.
* Trump to meet with Roger Ailes to address Trump/Fox “feud.”
* Ezra Klein wonders why Bernie Sanders isn’t talking about his best idea on Rx drugs: replacing patents with government-sponsored prize money for pharmaceutical innovation.
And in non-political news:
* Plenty o’ papal swag on sale in New York today.
As we break for lunch, here’s Roosevelt “Booba” Barnes performing “Heart-Broken Man.”