Twas indeed a tough Tuesday night, but good training for all those 2016 election nights.
Here are some day-after midday news/views treats:
* Justice Sotomayor presides over same-sex wedding. Who’d a thunk it a few years ago?
* At the Plum Line, Paul Waldman argues that none of the candidates last night really addressed the issue of what to do about Republican obstruction in Congress. More about that later.
* At Religion Dispatches Sarah Posner takes a close look at Ben Carson’s answers to questions about the end times, and finds him closer to conservative evangelicals than to his own Adventist tradition.
* At TNR, Jamil Smith deplores the limited way in which #BlackLivesMatter came and went during last night’s debate.
* Looking for a real deadline for Biden to announce a presidential campaign or the lack thereof? First could be October 29 ballot deadline in Georgia.
And in non-political news:
* It’s cookies on the line today for four teams facing game five in American League Division Series.
As we break for lunch, here’s “Son” Thomas with the meal-appropriate “Beefsteak Blues.”