THURSDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers:
* McCain blew off David Letterman last night, but made time for Katie Couric. Letterman wasn’t happy about this, and questioned the McCain campaign’s new tactics. “This just doesn’t smell right. This is not the way a tested hero behaves,” Letterman told his audience. “Somebody’s putting something in his Metamucil.”
* Republican candidates in Washington State are trying to avoid listing their party affiliation on the November ballot as “Republican.” Yesterday, the state Democratic Party filed a lawsuit on the matter.
* In Pennsylvania, Time/CNN shows Obama leading McCain by nine, 53% to 44%.
* In North Carolina, Rasmussen shows Obama leading McCain by two, 49% to 47%.
* In New Hampshire, Rasmussen shows McCain leading Obama by two, 49% to 47%.
* In Wisconsin, Research 2000 shows Obama leading McCain by six, 49% to 43%.
* In West Virginia, Time/CNN shows McCain leading Obama by four, 50% to 46%.
* In Montana, Time/CNN shows McCain leading Obama by 11, 54% to 43%.
* In Alabama, Rasmussen shows McCain leading Obama by 21, 60% to 39%.