WEDNESDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Violence in Gaza continued for a fifth straight day, after talks broke down for a possible cease-fire.
* Burris was, apparently, Blagojevich’s second choice — Rep. Danny Davis (D-Ill.) turned the governor down last week.
* Speaking of Blagojevich, Patrick Fitzgerald wants an additional 90 days to bring an indictment against the governor.
* I’m sorry to see the Village Voice let go of Nat Hentoff.
* California’s budget problems are pretty extraordinary — and not in a good way.
* I enjoyed Andrew Golis’ year-end piece: “The Ten Young Progressive Intellectuals Who Make Me Hopeful.”
* Ed Kilgore has a good piece of his own, highlighting various political memes that became conventional wisdom, but which turned out to be completely wrong.
* Congratulations to James Joyner on the birth of his daughter.
* And finally, don’t forget that tonight, we gain an extra second. Set your clocks accordingly.
Anything to add? Consider this the very last open thread of 2008.