THURSDAY’S CAMPAIGN ROUND-UP….Today’s installment of campaign-related news items that wouldn’t generate a post of their own, but may be of interest to political observers.
* Michael Steele wants everyone to know that he’s really, really pro-life, and would like us all to just forget about those comments he made to GQ.
* Rush Limbaugh remains quite popular with the GOP’s far-right base. With everyone else, not so much.
* On a related note, the DNC unveils its new billboard slogan today: “Americans didn’t vote for a Rush to failure.”
* In the race to fill the vacancy left by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand’s (D-N.Y.) promotion to the Senate, Republican Assemblyman Jim Tedisco still leads Democratic businessman Scott Murphy, but the margin is down to just four points. Two weeks ago, the same pollster had Tedisco up by 12.
* New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine (D) continues to look very vulnerable heading into his re-election campaign.
* Despite their recent differences, Joe Lieberman will support Chris Dodd’s re-election campaign.
* Ken McKay will be introduced today as the RNC’s new executive director. One assumes this will free up time for Michael Steele to do more entertaining media interviews.
* Former Rep. Virgil Goode (R-Va.), a loathsome figure who was narrowly defeated last year, is seeking a rematch in 2010.