WEDNESDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* A passenger jet crashed in northwestern Iran this morning, killing all 168 passengers and crew.
* In Afghanistan, July is “shaping up as the deadliest month” since the U.S. invasion eight years ago. The AP added, “The rate of deaths in July — about three a day — is approaching some of the highest levels of the Iraq war.”
* Cornyn, however, still doesn’t understand the basics of the Ricci case.
* Under the circumstances — namely, ugly attacks on Sotomayor’s ethnicity — it seems unwise for Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) to parrot an old Ricky Ricardo line during confirmation hearings.
* Interior Secretary Ken Salazar sure would appreciate it if the Senate would vote, eventually, on some of his senior staff positions (which, in reality, probably shouldn’t be subject to Senate confirmation anyway).
* That Birther Army Major should be facing a court martial fairly soon.
* On a related note, there are nine House Birthers and counting.
* ABC’s Jake Tapper opens an account on Daily Kos?
* And a caller challenged Glenn Beck today on health-care policy. His on-air breakdown was pretty extraordinary, even for him. Pay particular attention to the high-pitched scream about three and a half minutes in. Wow.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.