FRIDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Pakistan: “A huge and lethal blast rocked a crowded market in the northwestern city of Peshawar on Friday in what appeared to be a warning against the government’s plans to launch a military offensive against militants in the frontier region of South Waziristan. Hospital officials said at least 49 people had been killed, including seven children and one woman. About 100 people were wounded, they said.”
* Eliminating the Taliban isn’t an option. Weakening it is.
* You know what the president thought the big story of the day would be? His proposal for a Consumer Financial Protection Agency. The White House was ready for a big push, too, right up until that Nobel committee made its surprise announcement.
* The Nobel Peace Prize comes with about $1.4 million. The president will donate all of it to charity.
* NASA successfully hit Earth’s moon really hard.
* Exciting trade deficit news.
* Another Republican for Reform: Thomas Scully, who ran the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) during George W. Bush’s first term.
* U.S. Chamber of Commerce is losing friends, but it’s not giving up on its absurd position on global warming.
* Eugene Robinson thinks it’s time for congressional Dems to take a good, long look at Charlie Rangel.
* Good to see Krugman weigh in on higher ed policy.
* Conor Freidersdorf asks some County Republican Party leaders and officers for their thoughts on the future of the GOP. Hilarity ensues.
* Glenn Beck is now criticizing former Secretary of State Madeleine Albright because he finds her “neck skin” unattractive. What a classy guy.
* Rush Limbaugh has expressed an interest in buying the National Football League’s St. Louis Rams franchise. Plenty of African-American players have said they wouldn’t play for a Limbaugh-owned team.
* On a related note, Limbaugh yesterday blasted MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough as a “neutered chickified moderate.” This morning, Scarborough responded, explaining that Limbaugh put his “testicles in a blind trust” for George W. Bush.
* Right-wing activist Floyd Brown, once described as “a slimy thug for hire,” is behind the drive to impeach President Obama.
* A.L. asked the question of the day: “Did you ever think you’d see a headline ‘President on defensive after winning Nobel Peace Prize’?” It didn’t quite get there today, but it was close.
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.