WEDNESDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Another attack in Russia: “Two suicide bombers — including one impersonating a police officer — killed 12 people Wednesday in southern Russia. Prime Minister Vladimir Putin said the blasts may have been organized by the same militants who attacked the Moscow subway.”
* Doku K. Umarov, a Chechen rebel leader, claimed responsibility for Monday’s double bombing in Moscow, and warned that more attacks were likely.
* Big federal court ruling: “A federal judge ruled Wednesday that government investigators illegally wiretapped the phone conversations of an Islamic charity and two American lawyers without a search warrant.”
* I didn’t realize this was an option: “The Army secretary said on Wednesday he would not discharge gay personnel who admitted their sexual orientation to him, despite the ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ stance that remains official military policy.”
* What a surprise: “The first of several British investigations into the e-mails leaked from one of the world’s leading climate research centers has largely vindicated the scientists involved.”
* Fascinating piece from Andrew Sabl on the rhetoric of the health care debate, specifically the efficacy of the word “mandate.” I wish I’d thought to write this one.
* Former Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer facing a criminal investigation?
* Dear state of Utah, you can’t take federal land just because you want to.
* When your right-wing uncle sends you an email saying the IRS will hire 16,000 new agents to enforce the health care law, remember that the claim isn’t true.
* Great segment last night from Rachel Maddow on the infamous C Street house and some unresolved tax-law questions that need answers. (thanks to M.R. for the reminder)
* Shelby Steele appears to have published oneof the worst op-eds of all time.
* Trinity College will probably resist efforts to remove “Our Lord” from its diplomas.
* I found this story about the 10 personal letters President Obama reads every day pretty compelling.
* Yep: “Obama could propose cutting taxes to zero, deporting everyone who can’t speak English, renaming the country ‘Jesusland’ — doesn’t matter. The GOP answer will always be the same.”
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.