THURSDAY’S MINI-REPORT…. Today’s edition of quick hits:
* Pakistan: “As Pakistan grapples with a staggering humanitarian disaster that has left millions of people homeless and many more cut off without food or clean water, American officials both here and abroad pledged increased support to the nation on Thursday, hoping to bolster a relationship that is widely viewed as critical to stability in the region. Before heading to the United Nations to appeal for more aid, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced the creation of a special fund to alleviate the suffering in Pakistan, urging American families to contribute to it directly.”
* Let’s try not to forget the Gulf, OK? “New research confirms the existence of a huge plume of dispersed oil deep in the Gulf of Mexico and suggests that it has not broken down rapidly, raising the possibility that it might pose a threat to wildlife for months or even years.”
* According to the Congressional Budget Office, this year’s deficit will be slightly smaller than last year’s. (New Democratic talking point: “GOP made the deficit bigger, we’re making it smaller!”)
* Mike Allen’s report on the administration and Social Security caused a fair amount of consternation today, but there’s ample reason for skepticism.
* With 40% of Americans in their 20s moving back into their parents’ house at least once, the causes seem to be economic, not social/cultural.
* I suspect we’ll be hearing more anecdotes like these: “An influential Muslim GOP donor is at the end of her tether, and tells TPM she may eventually have to leave the Republican party over its opposition to the Cordoba House project and other anti-Muslim positions. ‘I don’t know if I’ll be a Republican a year from now,’ says Seeme Hasan, who chairs the Hasan Family Foundation in Colorado, and close ties to the Republican party leadership.”
* When a hysterical right-wing candidate get worked up about “Coexist” bumper stickers, it’s evidence of a man with too much time on his hands.
* Oh good, Dr. Laura has found a friend after her racist on-air tirade.
* Just so we’re clear, 9/11 is not a place.
* Quote of the Day from Jon Stewart: “I really think, if anything, the Republicans should be paying Fox News millions and millions of dollars — not the other way around.”
Anything to add? Consider this an open thread.