While Nevada may be too poor to fund its colleges, some universities are still quite rich.
A report from the Commonfund and the National Association of College and University Business Officers indicates that college endowments increased an average 11.9 percent this fiscal year. Last year endowments declined 18.7 percent.
According to a piece in Inside Higher Ed the colleges with the largest endowments in America are:
1. Harvard University ($27.5 billion)
2. Yale University ($16.6 billion)
3. Princeton University ($14.3 billion)
4. Stanford University ($13.8 billion)
5. Massachusetts Institute of Technology ($8.3 billion)
6. University of Michigan ($6.5 billion)
7. Columbia University ($6.5 billion)
8. Northwestern University ($5.9 billion)
9. Texas A&M ($5.7 billion)
10. University of Pennsylvania ($5.6 billion)
University of Chicago ($5.6 billion)
All of these schools saw their endowments increase last year.