* Michelle Obama mainly known for childhood obesity initiative, but intro focuses on another: military families. Good choice.
* Gotta say, as a McGovern ’72 volunteer, I still can stand to hear “Four More Years!” chant at Democratic Convention.
* “Greatest nation on earth.” Good preemption of possible renewal of ’08 attacks on Michelle Obama.
* Pretty good implicit contrast w/ Ann Romney’s tale of their lean days.
* In fact, whole speech is tribute to idea that individual initiative supported by collective efforts to improve opportunity is the “American Ideal,” not just “freedom” for people already poised to succeed.
* Interesting defense of ObamaCare as something president pursued because “that’s how he was raised.”
* Defense of women’s rights as “values” issue got biggest applause so far.
* “Do not slam the door behind you.” Good colloquial term for “giving something back” with special resonance to minority voters who still doubt his solidarity.
* This is an impeccably delivered speech. Perfect modulation, appropriate passion, gradually increasing cadence. Occasional stutters just add to authenticity.
* Back to patriotism theme at the end. Important she connected patriotism to voting.
* Links “hope” to “struggle.” Very, very important idea that rebuts idea that hard times have mocked Obama’s promise of “hope and change.”
* Man, this is turning into base-stimulating speech par excellence, maybe best speech we’ve heard at either convention so far.
What do you think?