10:35 JOE BIDEN SPEECH
* Biden certainly has different role here than Ryan did in Tampa, eh?
* Interesting identification of “this generation” with Obama administration in overcoming Great Recession. There have been hints of this earlier.
* Biden’s avuncular message to America: “Honey, it’s going to be all right.”
* Biden treating decisions on auto industry as defining. Man, Democrats clearly think this issue is the key to the kingdom in midwest. I’d love to see analysis of how many minutes devoted to this throughout the convention.
* No one I’ve heard has quite challenged Romney as a traitor to his own father’s legacy like Biden is. Mitt preferred the Bain Way to his old man’s way! No wonder Republicans have pulled ads in Michigan.
* Adjectives Biden is using for Obama as C-in-C are significant: decisive, resolute, unyielding.
* Somebody needs to do count of “USA!” chants at both conventions. I’m guessing Dems may have just pulled ahead.
* “Spine of steel.”
* I’m guessing the “Osama bin Laden is dead and G.M. is alive” line has gone over well in focus groups.
* Joe should go right ahead and finger Grover Norquist on the tax issue.
* If Clinton was speaking to swing voters generally, Biden is speaking to the white working class.
* Turning “culture of dependency” into reference to job training and education rather than “welfare.”
* Very clever identification of Romney and Ryan with America’s foreign detractors.
” “Private sector not the privileged sector.” Another effort to accuse wealthy of depending on government-enabled power.
* “We’re on our way.” Another use of “present progressive” framework.
* Durbin on to keep up the drumbeat while hall getting ready for Obama. Odd sort of segue, but certainly no one is going to be allowed to forget key Obama accomplishments for a moment.