Didn’t expect to do two posts on Richard Nixon, but then I didn’t realize when I woke up this morning that it was the centennial of that strange man’s birth. Take what you can get. Here are some mid-day news and views:
* Unsurprisingly, White House chief of staff and former OMB director Jack Lew to succeed Geithner at Treasury.
* Senate Republicans lay plans to hold up confirmations of Lew, Brennan, and whoever is nominated to head EPA.
* Times publishes fascinating and very wide-ranging open Q&A with Nate Silver.
* WaPo’s Greg Sargent reports first wave of business-leader warnings to GOP about dangers of debt default.
* Paul Mulshine of Star-Ledger discusses fight against Hagel as sign of Neo-con resurgence in GOP.
And in sorta non-political news, here’s the headline of the day, from Buzzfeed’s Amy Odell: “DC Sex Workers Prepare for Huge Influx of Inauguration Partiers.”
Back after a brief diet lunch of disgustingly healthy fare.