Props to Michael Lind for waking me up on an increasingly drowsy Tuesday afternoon. Here are some final news/views items of the day:
* Dumb wingnut state legislator du jour: a Missouri pol who introduced bill to make introduction of bill restricting gun rights a “Class D Felony.”
* Tea Party Patriots sends out fundraising email with photoshopped image of Karl Rove dressed up like Heinrich Himmler. TPP now blames hireling firm, apologizes. Just a little falling out among friends.
* TNR’s Molly Redden profiles new NARAL president Ilyse Hogue, born the year the organization was founded.
* At Ten Miles Square, James Wimberley marshals evidence that “well-regulated militias” no longer associated with stable democratic regimes.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer reports study indicating that 80% of citations in academic papers reference material the authors haven’t actually read.
And in non-political news:
* Macy’s suing JC Penney to block deal with Martha Stewart.
To close this day, here’s White Stripes again, performing “Icky Thump” at Hyde Park.