Went out to dinner last night, and missed most of the Oscars for about the 50th consecutive time. Hope those of you into the event enjoyed the ten-hour spectacle. At least I’ll have a better idea which movies I will actually watch.
Here are some mid-day morsels for a rancorous pre-sequester Monday:
* Roll Call‘s Niels Lesniewski reports Senate negotiators nowhere close to deal on gun background checks.
* More signs of that new, “reformed” conservative movement: Rick Perry and Newt Gingrich join speaker’s list at CPAC 2013.
* Glenn Reynolds suggests GOP go after youth vote by pushing for lowering of drinking age back to 18.
* Ben Domench excommunicates Rick Scott from ranks of those brave GOP governors and puts Bob McDonnell on probation.
* At TNR, Robert Draper profiles Chris Van Hollen as potential future House Speaker.
And in non-political news:
* Nate Silver’s predictions missed one of major the Oscar awards (Best Supporting Actor), but he sure wasn’t surprised by Argo’s Best Picture win over Lincoln.
Back after some chores.