Sorry for the delay, but I got kinda wrapped up in deconstructing yet another David Brooks column (somebody’s got to do it), and then the iMac had an atypical but ill-timed crash.
Here are some mid-day news/views snacks, slightly warmed over:
* House passes–I am not making this up–the Keep the IRS Off Your Health Care Act of 2013. They’re really earning that recess, eh?
* Bobby Jindal heads to Iowa, at invitation of Terry Branstad, to summer party for influential hog/ethanol baron. There’s a lot of redundancy in those last four words.
* Leave it to Peggy Noonan to pen column linking appreciation of Pope Francis (a monarch elected to a term limited only by death or a very rare resignation) to an out-of-the-blue call for congressional term limits. Time for that long August vacation, Peggy; the Hamptons await.
* I’m sure Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are excited to learn that Newt Gingrich is on their team.
* Jonathan Bernstein runs through 2014 Senate landscape, and adjudges Democrats still a narrow favorite to hang onto control.
And in non-political news:
* In response to the question, “Is Kim Kardashian a Feminist Role Model?” Jezebel‘s Tracie Egan Morrissey responds: “The short answer is: no. The long answer is: noooooooooooooooo.”
Back in a bit.