It’s been an all-Syria morning, but a few other news items are emerging beneath the drama. Here are some midday bites:
* Bezos announces intention to create a “new golden era” for WaPo.
* Times‘ Healy provides an update on the final week of the state senate recall campaign in Colorado, a soon-to-be-legendary slugfest of national gun groups.
* At TNR Jeffrey Rosen explains why DOJ suit against Texas could lead to another SCOTUS decision gutting another VRA section.
* The ever-optimistic Greg Sargent suggests that the Syria crisis could give Boehner an “escape hatch” from the trap he’s laid for himself on fiscal issues. Hope Greg’s right.
* By contrast, Wonkblog‘s Neil Irwin offers a basket of buzz-killing thoughts about trajectory of the economy.
And in non-political news:
* Connick, Lopez & Urban announced as American Idol judges.
Here’s some more Merle, from back in 1968, as we break for lunch: