I’m about to head off on a brief birthday-centered vacation this afternoon, but we have a very special Guest Blogger signed up to sub for me tomorrow, Friday and Monday. More about that later.
Here are some midday news/views tapas:
* After House GOP conference today, Boehner confirms House CR will include defund Obamacare language.
* Gallup reports Russia viewed as unfriendly country by plurality of Americans for first time since 1999. Better pull of that Syrian CW surrender, Vlad.
* Scott Gessler joins CO governor’s race as less deranged conservative GOP alternative to Tom Tancredo, gives big shout-out to “good corporate citizens.”
* Meanwhile, NH GOPer running against Sen. Jeanne Shaheen dealing with fallout from book in which he decried displacement of men in the economy by wimmin-folk.
* Tim Noah, who knows his inequality data, argues public sector policies inseparable from income distribution patterns.
And in non-political news:
* Fed decision on “tapering” due to be released any minute now; markets modestly up.
Back after a break; here’s another song about newspapers, from the great Loudon Wainwright III, who complains “They Spelled My Name Wrong Again” (warning, at least one non-family friendly, but quite funny, line):