Thanks to Ryan for some respite posts. I’m at St. Joseph’s Hospital in Atlanta, where my father is going through multiple medical issues. If you are the praying kind, spare one for him please.
Here are some midday news/views doses:
* Supreme Court refuses to hear petition of privacy group seeking overturning of FISA Court order for Verizon to turn over phone and internet records to NSA.
* Krugman quotes Summers on the possibility that a “normal” economy will perpetually require efforts to boost consumer demand.
* Albuquerque votes tomorrow on first municipal after-20-weeks abortion ban.
* Jonathan Bernstein notes that ranks of congressional Democrats actually opposing Obamacare hasn’t gone up in ages.
* The Atlantic‘s Garance Franke-Ruta reports that Liz Cheney’s opposition to same-sex marriage is making her the black sheep of her family.
And in non-political news:
* Dow busts 16,000 level.
As we break for a hospital cafeteria lunch, let’s stay with the Indigo Girls, performing “Closer To Fine” on Letterman in 1989.