Looks like more polar vortex fun for those of you east of the Mississippi. Bundle up.
Here are some warm midday news/views snacks:
* In contrast to what’s happening in Arkansas, Virginia Democrats won a special state senate election that may help them win control of the chamber and improve chances for Gov. Terry McAuliffe’s proposed Medicaid expansion.
* Speaking of VA, conservative reporter Byron York explores the indictments against former Gov. Bob McDonnell and his wife and concludes they allege deep and systemic corruption.
* New PPP survey of FL shows unpopular incumbent Gov. Rick Scott gaining ground against his unpopular predecessor and current opponent, Charlie Crist.
* House GOP Whip Kevin McCarthy articulates what may be next “Republican Establishment” position on immigration: yes to legalization, no to citizenship.
* Another nasty GOP Senate primary now brewing in OK, where special election will be held to fill Tom Coburn’s seat.
And in non-political news:
* Sears to close its flagship downtown Chicago store.
As we break for lunch, here’s Cyndi Lauper on French TV performing “Sally’s Pigeons,” a song about a friend’s death from an unsafe illegal abortion (with an a cappella rendition of “True Colors” as a bonus).