Dreadful post-Super Bowl slough in news today. Heard somewhere that 60% of Americans are taking the day off, but can’t quite view this is a holiday. So we’ll do the best we can.
Here are some small midday scraps from the news-grinder:
* Christie gets chance to burnish “media-victim” credentials via speaking gig at CPAC next month. Group snubbed him last year.
* O’Malley moving ahead with presidential campaign preparations, presumably to be in position if HRC doesn’t run. Could also accelerate veep vetting.
* Republican governors using surplus revenues to launch spending initiatives, especially in education; many reversing their own cuts.
* Pretty rich story of Christie state patrol bodyguard getting popped for shoplifting at PA gun store. Asked that charges be dropped as “professional courtesy.”
* The Atlantic‘s Ta-Nehisi Coates examines latest high-profile Florida “Stand Your Ground” killing.
And in sorta non-political news:
* 9/11 “truther” crashes Super Bowl interview.
As we break for lunch, here’s the Big Bopper performing “Little Red Riding Hood.”