It’s raining again here on the Central Coast, which from my personal POV is well-timed after I heard a hair-raising presentation last night from Carmel-by-the-Sea mayor Jason Burnett on the local water supply crisis (which is only tangentially drought-related, but every last drop of water counts).
Here are some midday sips from the news/views faucet:
* I’ll just let the headline from the Hampton Roads Virginian-Pilot speak for itself: “VA GOP official apologizes for genital slang ‘error.’”
* New SC poll from Winthrop shows Lindsey Graham with huge lead over low-profile primary opponents, but still lagging below 50% needed to avoid runoff.
* New PA poll from Q-Pac shows Tom Corbett trailing every named Dem opponent, and suffering from 36/52 approval/disapproval ratio. Self-funder Tom Wolf has jumped to front of Dem field after launching the primary’s first major ad buy.
* TNR’s John Judis defends his book on the creation of the State of Israel from conservative critics.
* The Atlantic‘s Robinson Meyer explains the rapid convergence of news sites on a crowded rectangle-image-text model for home pages. Not at text-heavy WaMo!
And in non-political news:
* Stray dog named “Hank” (after Hank Aaron) becomes unofficial mascot of Milwaukee Brewers during spring training.
As we break for lunch, here’s more early Fats, performing “Ain’t That a Shame” for one of those “white teenagers on spring break” movies that were so big in the 50s and early 60s.