During a lunchtime walk, counted 27 fishing boats within sight on the Monterey Bay. The salmon season must be gaining momentum.
Here are some remains of the day:
* Ta-Nehisi Coates’ soon-to-be-famous essay on the case for reparations is now online at Atlantic. A lot of it focuses not on housing and lending discrimination.
* Cincinnati and Las Vegas drop off list of cities under consideration for 2016 Republican convention. Sheldon Adelson will not be pleased. Cleveland, Dallas, Denver, KC still in running.
* Uh-oh: two other people, including vice chair of Mississippi Tea Party, charged with criminal conspiracy in photographing of institutionalized wife of Thad Cochran.
* At Ten Miles Square, Jonathan Bernstein thinks it’s time for Obama to speed up his end of the nomination and confirmation process.
* At College Guide, Liz Willen discusses what we do and don’t know about impact of “screen time” for very young children.
And in non-political news:
* Lane Kiffin and the late Joe Paterno top list of college football coaches mentioned most often in rap lyrics.
That’s it for Thursday. Here’s another Canned Heat performance: “Let’s Work Together,” from 1970.