Sorry for the late lunch, but I had a meeting with some friends that went a bit long. Here are some midday news/views snacks, direct from a Caribou Cafe in Des Moines:
* The big news here: Bill and Hillary Clinton announced as featured speakers at the final Harkin Steak Fry.
* Texas Tribune‘s Jay Root has a good primer on the Perry indictments.
* Civil rights groups arguing Ferguson curfew unconstitutional breach of First Amendment.
* Tom Frank suggests stepped-up antitrust enforcement, investigation of housing bubble fraud, and targeting high-tuition colleges for scorn and maybe sanctions, as steps Obama can take to revive presidency.
* Paul Waldman takes on the idea that Ferguson the product of “big government.”
And in non-political news:
* Dollar General in bidding war for Dollar Tree with Family Dollar. Lotta dollars involved.
As we break for lunch, here’s Son Seals with “I Can’t Hear Nothing But the Blues.”