I don’t know why, but you can sort of imagine John Lennon at 74, while it’s impossible with other rock stars who died young, like Hendrix and Joplin. Maybe it’s because he was already semi-retired when he was assassinated.
Here are some tossed and seasoned midday treats:
* GAO report shows, unsurprisingly, that voter ID laws reduced youth and minority turnout in KS and TN. That’s what they were intended to do.
* Weird story of the day: Oregon First Lady Cylvia Hayes had third marriage to Ethiopean immigrant never disclosed to her current husband, John Kitzhaber.
* Eerie echoes of Michael Brown case in fatal shooting of black teenager by white off-duty cop in St. Louis.
* Kristof reports argument over Islam on Maher show continued for an hour after the cameras turned off.
* Veteran Islamophobe David Horowitz pens poorly received piece at National Review entitled “Thank You, ISIS,” in gratitude for supposed confirmation of his ravings.
And in non-political news:
* After last weekend’s wild array of college football upsets, This Week in Schandenfreude column’s cup runneths over.
As we break for lunch, here’s the Beatles video for another Lennon classic, “I Am the Walrus,” from Magical Mystery Tour.