Watching Paul Revere and the Raiders videos really takes me back to those ur-memories of rock-and-roll; the days of bored summer afternoons watching Lloyd Thaxton and nights with Hullabaloo and Shindig and searching for marginally less predictable Top 40 radio stations in far-away cities. I can almost smell those times.
Here are some less introspective midday news/views treats:
* Massive manhunt underway for Parisian murderers as hundreds of thousands attend protest rallies.
* Somehow not surprised it’s an Alabama Republican–Martha Roby–who’s first in line with bill to defund Obama’s executive action on immigration.
* 1795 time capsule buried by Sam Adams and Paul Revere (the one from Massachusetts, not the one from Idaho) opened, revealing papers, coins, and maybe an authentic Revere silver plate.
* Ta-Nehisi Coats meditates on the mysterious social needs served by the myth that police are constantly under fire from criminals and under seige from politicians.
* Unbelievable but somehow not surprising: Mitch McConnell attributing positive economic trends to joy over his Senate Majority Leadership.
And in non-political news:
* Good brief summary of Epiphany observances.
As we break for lunch, here’s more Paul Revere & the Raiders–and that crazy go-go dancing–with their antidrug classic “Kicks,” a song reportedly written originally for The Animals.