In the comment thread to this morning’s Daylight Video, several commenters expressed a particular affection for Eno’s second (of three) solo rock albums, Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy. Since I don’t like to post a static album cover shot with studio audio unless it’s necessary, I’m posting below the one song from that album where Eno himself apparently produced a video. But you should listen to the whole album if you get a chance. First time I heard it, on the tinny AM radio of my 1973 VW Bug (yes, Atlanta had an AM station in those days that played very exotic music), I stopped the car at a pay phone, called my best friend in Athens, and made him listen to the end of “Burning Airlines Give You So Much More” blasted from my car. By the end of the day, I had tracked down and bought the album, and driven 60 miles to Athens to play it for my friends.
Do the chirrens these days have this much devotion to new music? Maybe, but they sure don’t have to go to as much trouble to share it.
Here are some easily shared midday news/views treats:
* Bet this got as much attention last night as the official “response” by a different Iowa Republican: Steve King tweets his displeasure with a “deportable” DREAMer being in the First Lady’s box.
* At the Prospect, Paul Waldman meditates on Joni Ernst’s “breadback feet” anecdote.
* Krugman discusses the very different monetary strategies being pursued by inflation hysterics in Switzerland and the much calmer folk in Hong Kong.
* Surprising revolt among some Republican women in House at priority being given to federal after-20-week abortion ban similar to those GOPers have promoted in many states.
* TNR’s Danny Vinik argues McConnell’s total obstructionism strategy is finally beginning to fail his party.
And in non-political news:
* Deflategate spreads as Ravens join Colts in alleging Patriots used under-inflated footballs.
As we break for lunch, as mentioned above, here’s Eno with “China My China,” a cut from Taking Tiger Mountain By Strategy. Love the manual typewriter percussion section!