Meant to mention this morning that I have powerful memories of the first time I really listened to “Venus in Furs.” It was in a bar in New Orleans where Happy Hour began promptly at 3:00 AM. The music seemed entirely appropriate.
Here are some remains of the day:
* Mike Tomasky calls Obama’s Selma speech “a manifesto for Blue America’s values.”
* At the Prospect, Paul Waldman pens open letter to HRC asking her to earn progressives’ trust. More about this tomorrow.
* Fraternity chapter at University of Oklahoma shut down after video leaked of unquestionably racist chant by members.
* At Ten Miles Square, Harold Pollack accuses Republicans of political incompetence for their poor handling of the Selma commemoration.
* At College Guide, Daniel Luzer looks at the phenomenon of for-profit colleges going non-profit to evade punishment for malfeasance.
And in non-political news:
* Indie band protests McDonald’s asking it to perform at SXSW for burgers, if not peanuts.
That’s it for Monday. Let’s close with John Cale performing “Mercenaries” in Germany in 1984.