While I was looking for news about the new location of the Iowa GOP Straw Poll, I ran across an item about an early morning knife fight in Clive (a suburb of Des Moines) that sent two men–brothers–to the ER. One of them is the guitarist for Slipknot. Is nothing sacred?
Here are some less edgy midday news/views treats:
* Confessore, Martin and Haberman remind us of all the reasons Hillary Clinton is the overwhelming favorite of Democrats to run for president.
* Jonathan Bernstein mocks the widespread “Democrats have no bench!” meme. Yeah, I’d say Dems have a coupla people as impressive as Rick Santorum.
* Nicholas Kristof says liberals “blew it” by not embracing 1965 Moynihan Report on the African-American family.
* Speaking of blasts from the past, Alabama U.S. Sen. Richard Shelby allows as how he knows virtually nothing about this voting rights stuff, but he may have read about it in the papers once.
* Two police officers wounded in Ferguson shooting were apparently “ambushed” after the night’s protests had largely ended.
And in non-political news:
* Madonna tells Howard Stern she did indeed date Tupac Shakur. I’d say interviewer and interviewee needed some extra attention.
As we break for lunch, here’s more Tracy Nelson, performing “Miss You Like the Devil” with an all-star band on TV in 1989.